Sunday, September 24, 2017

Season Winding Down

The weather here in Colorado is starting to feel a little bit less like summer. One of the sad realities of this is that the disc golf season is slowly coming to an end. It has been a year of many adventures and exciting new experiences. It has been a year where ministry within the disc golf community has been a bigger focus for me. It has been a year when things have changed.

I have always loved disc golf and playing in tournaments. But this year for the first time, now that I am working with Eagles Wings Disc Golf, My focus was less on my game and improving and more about meeting the right people and asking if there is something that we as Eagles Wings can do. I know that I have been giving updates along the way, but as I sit here today, I am intrigued by all that has happened. The truth is that I have played way less disc golf in general than I used to. Not because I don't like disc golf any more. But more because I see more value in trying to serve rather than play.

I always enjoy being part of our chapel services. From hosting to planning to helping in one of many different ways, I am always blessed to see Christians in the disc golf community gather to encourage each other. While it is easy to measure the success of our chapels by the number of people that attended, the joy for me was found in simply seeing the reality of how the body of Christ works. It is so great to see different parts of that body. I am already looking forward to next year and hopefully growing the local chapel ministry here in Colorado.

One of the other things that I have always enjoyed is teaching. In particular, I enjoy teaching others to enjoy something that I enjoy. Last year I had plenty of opportunity to teach other to play disc golf. This year the opportunities seemed did not seem to be as prevalent. I did enjoy the few opportunities that I did have. Needless to say, I am looking to create more opportunities next disc golf season. I hope to do this by being able to take time to teach at the outdoor education program at a local camp and by helping more camps get courses put in.

Recently I had the joy of dreaming big for next year as I was tasked with creating objectives and a budget for Eagles Wings Disc Golf in Colorado. Being able to dream big is always a fun exercise for me. I am honestly curious to see exactly what God is going to do. I know I will have some great opportunities to serve with Eagles Wings outside of Colorado, but now that we have our start here, I can very easily see myself traveling out of state less and building the ministry locally. At the end of a season, there is much excitement for what is to come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment