Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My Story

“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.”

- Romans 8:28-30

As I sit here and ponder God and how He works in our lives, I am continually amazed at the stories He creates. There is no way I could ever have imagined what life was going to look like for me at any point along the way. There is no way I could have dreamed what was going to happen next. Life is simply too good and I am beyond thankful to God for that.

I grew up going to church and accepted Christ as my savior at a young age. I struggled through life trying to figure out who I was and who God made me to be. I was blessed to have a great church to grow up in. I was blessed to go off to college and find more than one genuine Christian community to be a part of. I had some of the most incredible opportunities to learn and grow. There is no way I could have planned life. After college I knew I wanted to learn more about God and the Bible and so I went off to seminary, not knowing where God might lead me.

I have had wonderful experiences working at Christian Camps, substituting at Christian Schools, teaching kids to play games at a non-profit devoted to character development, and now teaching preschoolers at an inner city ministry in Denver, CO. All of this, along with my education, has prepared me for something great.

We all go through life with interests that come and go. We find ways to spend our time and money and hopefully build community along the way. I have always loved sports of all kinds. But when God brought disc golf into my life, something was different. I started playing disc golf nearly seven years ago. I enjoyed watching my discs fly through the air and there was a drive in me to get better. I started playing tournaments and began meeting other people who played. It became very clear very early on, that disc golf was going to be a huge ministry opportunity for me.

Almost a year and a half ago I was watching a video on YouTube of a disc golf tournament in Florida. The winner gave a speech and thanked God. I emailed him and a month later I was praying with him before his first round at The Memorial Championship, the first national tour event of the year. JohnE McCray became a good friend who shared his faith and cheered for me on the course. A year later, at the Memorial Tournament, I had dinner with JohnE and his wife Jen. Jen, after hearing about me and my story asked if she could introduce me to someone she and JohnE knew who were starting a disc golf ministry.

The very next day I met Dustin Leatherman for the first time. He had been working with an organization called Push the Rock for a few years and had successfully pitched the idea of a disc golf ministry to them. When I talked with Dustin it seemed that we were on the same page about disc golf being an incredible mission field with lots of people who needed Jesus in their lives.

I was hesitant at first to join Dustin and Eagles Wings Disc Golf.  But God used people in my life to show me how I could trust Him, even when I was not sure I could see how God would provide. A guy in a small group I lead literally sat me down in a time of prayer and said, “What are you afraid of?” I knew right then that I needed to apply to work with Eagles Wings Disc Golf and Push the Rock. Interviews, phone calls and a trip across the country to Pennsylvania allowed God to confirm this direction in my life and that He had something big for me in working with Eagles Wings Disc Golf.

I am now at the beginning of the final steps before I join staff full time. I am terrified and excited all at the same time. I know the support raising process will be long and tough. I will be discouraged and encouraged on a daily basis. There will be times I want to ask God why. And there will be times of complete joy. I know God has made me for a purpose and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to combine my passion for my relationship with God and my passion for disc golf. I am excited to see how God moves in the lives of everyone I meet along the way. I know I can trust God and I know He will provide.

Prayer Requests:
1.       Pray for the support raising process, that it will go well and in God’s time.
2.       Pray for those who will join my support team, that God would bless them through this commitment.
3.       Pray for my relationship with God, that it would be strengthened through this.

4.       Pray for the people I meet working with Eagles Wings Disc Golf and playing disc golf; that their hearts would see something different in me and have hearts open to hear about the love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment